Thursday 18 March 2010

We're a fackin' dot com, don't yer know.

I was designing a new logo to announce it, and I did finish it, but it was shit. It really was, which is a shame, because it's the one I had in mind ages ago and never had the proper time to do it properly. Now I have done it properly, it's a mess, so you'll never get to see it.

But I digress.

Anyway, as of today, this site is DystopianFuchsia.com. None of that Blogspot bobbins in the URL.

As of two days ago, Destinauts is at Destinauts.co.uk. Although some cheeky fucker has suddenly registered the .com, .org and .net domains for it, which will cost me at least £43 each to acquire myself. Ah well. I don't need 'em. Not yet, anyway.

I spent the last couple of nights beset with problems. I've been desperately trying to finish the colouring for the second page of Destinauts, and 5 times in the past week, it's crashed before I could save it, losing my work. I've just finished it at last, and am working away on page 3. It's bloody tiring work, not least for someone who's never been great at colouring. It's my least favourite arty thing to do. Drawings-wise, I've finished the first 7 pages, and have ordered some new special arty pens to finish the first issue. Hopefully they should turn up tomorrow. Sometime this month, most of, if not all of, the first issue will be online. I said March, I meant March. Fucking self-imposed deadlines.

Now, I've had a major problem. I want to embed Highslide on the Destinauts site so I can have a nice navigational thing, in order for readers to have a better reading experience, and so I don't have to have it hosted at a webcomic host where it'll get lost amongst everything else. The problem is that Blogger (Google) have recently disabled FTP functionality on their blogs, and so I can't see a way of uploading the template software and embedding it in the site code. I'm no programmer; I'm very much a novice with stuff like this, so I'm desperately trying to find a way around it. I don't want to have to export the blog elsewhere; I reckon it'll cause more problems than it'll solve. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be more than grateful for the input and help. I've devoted stupid amounts of time to this very subject today with no reasonable outcome. I know that the Doctor Who News Page has Highslide every now and again, and they're a Blogspot site. In fact, click here, then click Reveal, then click on the first picture to see an example of what I'm on about. I really want that for Destinauts. Please help if you can.

Finally, this place. I feel that I devote too much time and effort on things here that people don't bother with. The Caption Competition, the Haunted Gallery... I think it's time I retired them. Seriously, they're just taking up room. I started both up as a way of getting more interaction from people here so it wasn't just 'my' site, but if it's not what people want, I can't force 'em, can I? I put the effort into making pics for the Caption Competition, and although they don't take much time to do, it's still wasted time. Soon, I'll be streamlining Dystopian Fuchsia, and getting rid of things that don't need to be there. I want an easier site to navigate around, which means completely altering the HTML for the site. I know very little about HTML, so it won't happen overnight, but it will be soon. In the meantime, those things are going. I just don't have the time to devote to them at the moment, and I don't want this place to stagnate with the same old tired content.

There we go, a blog about absolutely nothing. I haven't had any more people asking if they can submit a guest blog post since Tom Campbell's one, but I'm still hoping to post some more. If you're interested, let me know on Twitter or Facebook. Also, let me know here what you think of guest posts. Do they detract from everything else, or are they A Good Thing? All comments are welcome. Thank you. Now, on your way.


No comments:

Post a Comment