Wednesday 24 February 2010

The Sound of Drums


Some people call me cynical. Yeah, I know, where do they get these crazy ideas? A lot of things annoy me. Lots of TV annoys me. I cannot bear the celebrity culture we find ourselves in. I can't stand the smug self-importance of [insert bland insipid television presenter here]. I hate it when things you love turn into something you hope gets better. I found that Mock the Week with Frankie Boyle was a show that was a heavily scripted, non-improvised topical satire show masquerading as a panel show, which made me laugh out loud as everybody tried to out-funny said comedian. I find that Mock the Week without Frankie Boyle is a heavily-scripted topical satire show masquerading as a panel show, and the convenient topics for the stand-up bits are more obviously than ever an outlet for segments of their existing stand-up material (I can spot a lot of Russell Howard's bits as segments from his show, and Sarah Millican's last appearance was identical to bits from her Live At The Apollo set), whilst Andy Parsons reminds me more and more of Stone Cold Steve Austin after suffering a mild stroke, leading him to channel the spirit of Griff Rhys Jones. I used to love the show, but losing Boyle has de-clawed it somewhat. Having the comedy Kryptonite of Patrick Kielty in the first episode of the new series has probably tainted my opinion of the show. Cynical? Me? Not a bit of it.

I came to a realisation recently. I love EastEnders. Re-read that last sentence. Not a trace of sarcasm or bitterness. It's just celebrated its 25th anniversary, and I realised that, on and off, I have been watching it since the very first episode back in 1985. It's very easy to mock the soaps and look down on them, as I think some of the snobbery of some parts of the entertainment industry has filtered its way down into public opinion (because, as I think we've well established, other people are invariably idiots, except you, obviously), but watching the live episode on Friday, it was clear that these are some very talented actors. I have to single out Jake Wood, who I was first aware of as Killcrazy in Red Dwarf VIII, who was fantastic in his portrayal of Max Branning when Bradley died. Superb, as was the fact they kept the identity of Archie's killer secret (from the viewers and the cast) until the very last moment of the episode.

In EastEnders Live: The Aftermath, George Lamb, the only person in the UK to be named after two pubs, told Charlie Clements (Bradley), still with fake blood around his noggin, who the killer was. The Aftermath show was great for two things. One, it allowed Larry Lamb (Archie) to make a rape joke (which mysteriously vanished in the repeat), and two, it allowed June Brown (Dot) to show up George Lamb as the twat he is, visibly flustered by her frank answers. Bless her. As well as being a wonderful actress, she's now my hero.

So, EastEnders. It has a reputation of being miserable, yet it is one of the most successful and popular programmes this country has ever produced. It has a streak of black humour running right through it, which I greatly appreciate, and as the live show demonstrated, has some of the best actors in the country. Over the years, it has (sometimes heavily-handed, admittedly) educated the public about many 'issues', from teenage pregnancy, to homosexuality, to racism (does anyone remember when dear old Jim Branning was a shameless bigot when it came to his son-in-law, Alan?), to HIV/AIDS, to rape. Some might say that too many murders, deaths and general ill happen in Albert Square. Well, it's a serial drama, not an accurate portrayal of real life. If you want attention seeking fuckers playing up to the camera, watch one of the inept 'reality' shows that spread throughout the schedules like a cancer.

EastEnders can be a little heavy handed, as I've said. Sometimes, they'll bring a character in and really force them to fit and be accepted. Thanks to the revolving door of executive producers, you'll get a cull of characters that have outlived their usefulness every couple of years, yet sure as eggs is eggs, you'll always get another Mitchell or two shoehorned in. I'm sure if Leslie Grantham hadn't been so keen to suck his finger on an insecure net connection, Den Watts would still be around. No programme is perfect, and EastEnders is no exception, but when it gets it right, it does it exceptionally well.

I've never watched Coronation Street. Not once. As I said once before, I told a former acquaintance this, only for me to be told "don't be stupid". It's true, though. I'm sure avid viewers of (ahem) 'Corrie' (sigh) love it for whatever reason, but it's just never appealed to me. I think it's the theme tune and that fucking cat on the roof, they always put me off when I was a kid. Still, if Sir Ian McKellen wanted to be in it so badly, it can't be that bad, can it?

I've watched EastEnders for 25 years. Aside from when I was at university when I had no TV, I've watched most episodes. Without a trace of cynicism, I think it's brilliant. I have fond memories of the show, and love it when old characters return and interact with newer ones; I'm looking forward to Kat and Alfie coming back. They were great. I recently saw a clip of Civvy Street, the 1988 Christmas special set during World War II. It was just like watching Rock & Chips, only funnier. I think they should have shown that, as well as the first ever episode, during the anniversary celebrations, but one thing I'm not is a television scheduler, nor am I level-headed. So, EastEnders. I love it. I love it that much that I won't use the phrase "duff duff" to sully it. I still can't believe that Laila Morse (Big Mo) is Gary Oldman's sister, though.

Anyway, for those waiting for Destinauts, I know I've promised it here and there, but personal life stuff has managed to get in the way quite a bit. I've been working hard on it though, and currently I reckon it'll début in March. Here, though, is the first bit of preview art. To tie in with today's overall theme, meet Cynicus...


Have a pleasant day.

6 comments:

  1. Hallo there, Ian,

    I'm thinking I might have a look-in on Eastenders ... What I worry about is perhaps confusing characters and story lines with those in Corrie, which I do watch.

    Back in the day, I watched Crossroads faithfully. I did look in on Corrie, my mother's family being from Burnley. Curiously, my father, born in Chelsea, preferred Corrie to Eastenders.

    I've never seen more than 15 minutes of an Eastenders episode, that rarely. And one should give these things a try. So, I'll have a go.

    I live in northern Northumberland, but there seems little "loyalty" to Corrie. Manchester's too far south, I suppose.

    I watched the American soap "The Young & The Restless" for a while ... that was rubbish.

    Mock the Week is less for the loss of Frankie Boyle, no matter the fact that most of the show is regurgitated Apollo. The "MTW Too Hot for TV" DVDs are fun because Frankie usually goes totally beyond the pale and that is included on the DVDs. It seems as if Hugh Dennis is being nudged into being a bit cruder. "How Crap is That" Parsons ... a tad boring. Paul O'Grady had a very young comedian from Scotland, 17 years old, on his show late last year, Daniel Sloss, who turned out to be writing for Frankie Boyle/MTW.

    I'm hoping that MTW (or HIGNFY) will kick in during the Election period ... The current political satire is usually good, even if scripted by somebody not credited who should be. It's the improv that is on a loop.

    So it goes.

    The cat on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first watched HIGNFY on the 1992 Election Special (Alan Coren was a guest, but I forget who else). It was around the time of David Icke and the Natural Law Party, and I was hooked instantly. Satire seems very sanitised, obvious and safe nowadays.

    One major reason I probably still love EastEnders is because of how long I've been watching it. Mind you, I've started watching Casualty and Holby City in the past year, so maybe it's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, maybe it's just me, but is Russell Howard's ego inflating at a more rapid rate since Boyle left? I really don't like the way he glances at the camera mid-joke almost as if to check they're still there. And I wish he would stop with the Australian-esque rising intonation in his voice at the end of every sentence. You know? As if he's explaining it? To us? As if, you know? We're all far more stupid than he is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He does do that, yep. He's definitely trying to be the star of the show, despite his patchy efforts. His show is fairly mediocre; it reminds me of the linking bits on Commercial Breakdown. It's probably got some of the same scriptwriters. I'm getting tired of Andy Parsons's similar method, stop-starty raised voice fuckwittery. If he mentions "Cash My Gold" one more time, I'm going to write to Points of Fucking View.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casualty blows chunks but 'tenders and Holby are awesomeness. Yes it may be the age thing but we all gotta take a break from drive by shootings outside and watch them on the telly box instead.

    I too have been watching 'tenders since it first started. I thoroughly enjoy the fact that, if you do miss it for a while, it's a piece of piss to catch up on.

    One of my favourite memories is when Nick Cotton *boo hiss* was bullying Nigel and Mark Fowler came in and twatted Nick *boo hiss* and he's mate with his crash helmet - both went down like a sack of shit and elicited a "GET IN!!!" from me, the likes of which I have not experienced since George McFly spanked Biff.

    Oh and Mock The week has gone all wanky and HIGNFY isn't the same without Angus Deayton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...George McFly spanked Biff."
    That's a euphemism waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete